Middlesbrough’s caretaker boss Steve Agnew may have Bernardo Espinosa and Rudy Gestede available after injuries.
Adlene Guedioura returns after being cup-tied, but Daniel Ayala, Calum Chambers and George Friend are out.
Paul Pogba misses out for Manchester United because of a hamstring strain, while Daley Blind received a blow to the head against Rostov and is a doubt.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Ander Herrera are suspended, but Wayne Rooney, Luke Shaw and Anthony Martial could be fit.
MOTD COMMENTATOR’S NOTES
Guy Mowbray: “With Jose Mourinho stressing that United have ‘lots of enemies’ this week, it might have been nice for him to catch up with a friend.
“Aitor Karanka’s dismissal from Middlesbrough means he’ll be one down on that score at the Riverside, with Boro’s inability TO score one of the reasons for Mourinho’s former assistant going.
“His successor faces a conundrum. Changes are usually made to make a relegation-threatened team harder to beat – something not usually associated with becoming more cavalier.
“Looking at their next fixtures though, caretaker Steve Agnew might as well send a team out to have a free hit against fatigued United – whilst taking Mourinho’s ‘probably lose’ comments with a cellar full of salt.”
WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY
Middlesbrough’s caretaker boss Steve Agnew: “I have to be honest, [Thursday] was a really difficult and emotional day.
“Aitor Karanka put in incredible work over the last three and a half years. I really enjoyed his work and his company during my two and a half years working with him.
“But today the players have trained well and we look forward to the weekend.”
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho on his side’s fixture congestion: “I don’t think it’s a funny situation. When I watch marathons and people go to their limit, I don’t think it is funny, and I don’t think it’s funny some of my players in six weeks play 11 matches.
“Play on Monday with 10 men, enjoying five hours the M6 coming back to Manchester. People can ask why was (Phil) Jones playing on the left with so many difficulties. He was playing on the left because he could run and Marcos (Rojo) couldn’t run.
“We are living all these things and let’s see if Sunday we get a point. That would be great result.”
I think we might see Middlesbrough play with a bit more freedom now Aitor Karanka has gone, which was one of the criticisms he faced.
I would not be surprised if Boro get something from Manchester United on Sunday.
- Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round’s Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game
- Manchester United are unbeaten in eight league meetings since a 4-1 defeat on Teesside in October 2005 (W5, D3).
- Middlesbrough have gone 12 matches without a win against United in all competitions, although they did knock the Red Devils out of the League Cup in a penalty shootout last season.
- United have scored in each of their last 14 away league games against Middlesbrough, their longest current streak against another club.
- Boro are winless in 10 league games since Christmas, failing to score in seven of them. A draw or defeat on Saturday would ensure they equal the longest run without victory in the Premier League this season, set by Swansea.
- Middlesbrough’s next defeat will be their 1000th in the top flight.
- Their tallies of four wins and 19 goals scored this season are the worst in the division. They have failed to score in 13 of their 27 matches, more than any other side.
- However, only four clubs have conceded fewer goals than Middlesbrough.
- Manchester United’s current 17-match unbeaten run is the longest in the Premier League this season.
- They share the division’s best defensive away record with Chelsea, conceding just 12 goals. United have only let in four goals in their last seven away games.
- United’s next win will be their 600th in the Premier League, becoming the first side to reach that landmark.
- Jose Mourinho’ side average 6.3 goals attempts on target per game this season, the most in the division. Middlesbrough’s average per game of 2.4 is the lowest.
- The suspended Zlatan Ibrahimovic accounts for nearly a quarter of Manchester United’s attempts on goal in the Premier League this season (109 – 24.3%).
- Antonio Valencia could make his 200th Premier League appearance.
|Most probable score: 0-0||Probability of draw: 37%|
|Probability of home win: 19%||Probability of away win: 44%|
SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.